I’m John – a documentary style wedding photographer based in Hackney, North London. Stoke Newington, which is my little home borough is only ten minutes away from Islington so I know the area very well. Islington Town Hall is a huge draw for weddings throughout the year. This chic North London area also has a ton of wonderful other wedding venues and wedding reception venues. I am proud to say I know many of them well. I’ve had the privilege to have photograph relaxed and natural wedding receptions at Fredericks Bar, The Drapers Arms and The Finsbury Town Hall . The Islington Town Hall was the starting point for all these fun weddings.
Islington Town Hall Weddings
My style is documentary, unposed, and natural wedding photography. I prefer to capture real moments throughout your day. A leisurely stroll is perfect for beautiful portraits, and I’m always happy to take some formal family groups. Low-key, fun, and relaxed for a stress-free wedding day.
Are you planning an Islington Wedding?
View my portfolio of London wedding photography.
Rebecca and Raj chose The Coal Office Restaurant in Coal Drops Yard in Kings Cross for their London Wedding. I was commissioned to produce a natural and unposed record of the day and the celebrations. The day started at a Islington Town Hall, specifically Room 99. This was a small and intimate wedding, family only,…
Getting married at The Estorick Collection Gallery This was a very Islington wedding. Zoe and Michael chose The Estorick Collection Gallery to host their wedding reception. The wedding ceremony was in the Council Chamber at Islington Town Hall and the party went on late at Little Bat, a cool cocktail bar just off Upper Street….
London Manor House Wedding Clissold House is an Edwardian Manor House in the heart of Hackney. Stoke Newington is a stylish borough of Hackney and boasts its own Town Hall, another fabulous wedding venue managed by the expert wedding team at Hackney Venues. The Clissold House is set in Clissold Park, a lush green space with two ponds, a pretty bull…
Islington Town Hall with The Depot N7 Wedding Reception Anne and Chris celebrated their wedding at The Depot N7 Bar near Kings Cross. The wonderful couple had got married moments earlier at Islington Town Hall in the Council Chamber. The Depot Bar is a split level wedding reception venue with a cobbled mews. Its only…
My name is John Sanders and I am an award-winning Islington wedding photographer. As a documentary-style photographer, telling your amazing wedding story is what I do. It is my passion and makes every wedding I cover a lot of fun and a special day. Whether you get married in Islington Town Hall or one of the local churches, it is a pleasure to capture those first precious moments you experience as newlyweds. Sometimes, the best setting for a wedding ceremony is the one that is the simplest and authentic for you as a couple.
I pride myself on having worked at some of the most beautiful wedding venues in Islington as well as throughout the surrounding countryside. Civil ceremonies at the Islington Town Hall can produce some breathtaking photos from the ceremony itself. It’s those moments I look for most. These are often the wedding photos that make a blog post stand out when you are sharing your favourite moments of your special day.
Documentary Style Photography by John Sanders
My documentary style of wedding photography is unique. I look for the story behind the image. If a photograph is worth a thousand words, then my images will speak volumes. In addition to the candid glimpses into your wedding day, I will also include several of the traditional group shots. Poses are not my speciality, so I try to make the group shots of your wedding party as natural as possible.
Luxury venues allow for many of the most beautiful traditional photos. Permanent floral displays can add just the right touch of colour. Throw in a balcony or fireplace and you can create almost any type of environment you choose. Being able to help my soon-to-be-married couple find the right venue means that I have ample time to plan the perfect portraits. I can help them find the wedding venue that will take their story to the next level from ordinary to epic.
Capturing the Beauty of Islington
Islington is one of many London boroughs that is steeped in tradition and history. Exquisite churches and stylish hotels are located throughout the area, all set against the distinctive London architecture. Many couples choose Islington Town Hall as the wedding venue and it’s a very popular venue.
The Town Hall is known for its beautiful décor and location on Upper Street – Islington’s fashionable centre and home to many pubs, restaurants and boutiques. The setting is so simple that it is utterly stunning when the bride and groom are quietly sharing their vows.
If you’re getting married at Islington Town Hall, your guests may visit the Vineyard Pub which is opposite. It’s a popular meeting point before a wedding and occasionally a stop off for the groom and groomsmen too to steady any nerves.
Shooting weddings in Islington is something I love to do. Each venue in the area boasts its own unique touch. I try to utilize as many features as I can in each wedding shoot. From the bride descending down a marble staircase to the groom standing in front of the lit fireplace as he waits for the woman he loves. Catching a quick glimpse of the best man as he passes the groom the wedding rings shows the true bond between these friends.
Allow Me to Capture Your Shy Side
I know that not everyone is keen on having their pictures taken. You may be nervous, shy, or simply uncomfortable. I am here to make the process go as smoothly and painless as possible. We will have a chat so that I can put you at ease and then I will start with the wedding photography business. When it comes to the posed, traditional photos, I work through them quickly to relieve your stress and anxiety. I may even toss some confetti so I can get you to smile!
I know that the most important thing during those moments is allowing you to get back to your friends, family, and guests. As soon as you can get back to the festivities, I can move on to my favourite part of the day. I will move quietly through the shadows and behind the scenes to capture the moments you will want to remember. The smiles, the tears, and the emotional glances will all be captured for posterity, so you can look at them whenever you like.
Islington Town Hall Wedding Photographer
I’d like you to choose me as your Islington Town Hall photographer! When it comes to Islington wedding photography, it revolves around capturing people in the moment. Large windows to let in all of the natural light possible. I have looked through a lens throughout my entire career and enjoy being able to capture the right balance of light and shadow that highlights the features of my subjects.
I want to capture it all. Even my wife and children will tell you, that I am a sucker for detail. I look for the simple things, the subtleties you catch out of the corner of your eye. They are my focus and I pride myself on capturing as many of those images as I can.
As a Finalist in the 2020 London Wedding Awards, I have been recognised for my unique style and for the effort I put into creating the perfect candid shots. My clients love the way I bring out the raw emotion and pure essence of the bond they have with one another. I get to know my clients. I learn what they want and what type of atmosphere they would like to create for their wedding. I work with them to make sure that is exactly what they get.
Islington in a Nutshell
Located near downtown London, Islington is one of the smallest boroughs in the area. It is known for its beautiful parliamentary offices and stunning architecture. The Richmond Room at Islington Town Hall is considered the perfect place for a wedding. The Council Room is also popular. Islington’s strong connection to beautiful architecture means that the number of potential wedding venues is staggering. Each has its own style and flair and will create a one-of-a-kind backdrop for your ceremony.
Islington Wedding Venues
There are so many Islington wedding venues to choose from! The following is just a small sampling.
- Islington Town Hall – The leading wedding venue in the borough, Islington Town Hall is located on Upper Street and has a beautiful classic facade along with period details inside. You can choose to hire the Council Chamber or Room 99 for your ceremony or if you’re an Islington resident, the Statutory Room for small ceremonies. I’ve worked here many times and it is a great location for your North London Wedding. Here is a list of some of the many Islington weddings I’ve covered here.
- Islington Assembly Rooms – This 1930s Islington venue can seat over 175 people and is a versatile place to hold your wedding reception or special event. It is conveniently located right next to Islington Town Hall. I am a recommended wedding photographer at Islington Assembly Rooms too and know the venue very well.
- Old Finsbury Town Hall – The Old Finsbury Town Hall is an inspiring wedding venue created in an Art Noveau style. The venue features high ceilings, a grand staircase, and ornate fireplaces as period details. There is a Grand Hall, Council Chamber and Wedding Room that all can be hired for your wedding day. Here are some images from this unique venue.
- St. James Church – St. James Church is a gorgeous Victorian Catholic church that was originally built in 1875. It is one of the most popular of all the religious wedding venues in Islington.
- Fredericks Bar Camden Passage – is a relaxed, contemporary bar and restaurant which also hosts weddings and events. Operating as a venue since 1995 it is located near to the town hall in the centre of Islington. For anyone wanting a venue that offers superb food, drink and hospitality, Fredericks Bar is worth checking out. Here is a recent blog post for a Fredericks Wedding. I am also a recommended wedding photographer for Fredericks.
- The Peasant Pub – A traditional Victorian pub with a contemporary, urban style. This is another great choice for a wedding reception in North London. Here’s my recent blog about a wedding at the Peasant Pub.
- The Depot N7 – A great location for your wedding reception. Located on the North Road near Kings Cross, the Depot N7 can provide excellent food and craft beers and fine wine for you and your guests. I covered a wedding there which you can read here in my The Depot N7 wedding blog.
- The Drapers Arms – This popular North London pub is ideal for a reception of up to 50 people if you have just got married at the Islington Town Hall. Read more about The Drapers Arms weddings in my recent blog post.
- London Irish Centre – London Irish Centre is a cultural centre that goes to the next level. Its new building can host many different types of events, including weddings and receptions.
- Museum of the Order of St. John – The Museum of the Order of St. John is steeped in history and tradition. If you want to blend luxury with regal, you have come to the right place. After your ceremony, a walk through the beautiful garden should be your next step.
- DoubleTree Angel King’s Cross – One of the most extravagant and luxurious hotels in Islington, this is the perfect place to begin your life together. After the ceremony, you will be able to rely on the staff to provide you with a night to remember.
- King’s Place – Known as an art and cultural hub, King’s Place is an award-winning wedding venue that offers some of the most beautiful views of the city. Luxury and style are definitely on the menu at this beautiful venue.
- Le Cafe du Marche – If French cuisine is on the menu, then Le Cafe du Marche is the wedding venue for you. Since 1986, the cafe has offered live music and the best French food in one of the most rustic and laid-back environments in Islington.
FAQ for the Best Islington Photographer
Do you shoot in bad weather?
Aside from lightning, I don’t mind shooting in the rain. Some of my best images are the result of nature running its course. No matter what the weather, we will make it through and I can turn your day into one that you will always remember with a smile.
What is your style of photography?
I am a documentary-style photographer. I strive to tell your story. The story of two lives that become one during your wedding ceremony. You will receive many different types of shots, but they will all tell a story. I have won awards for my work from the Wedding Photojournalist Association (WPJA).
How many hours do you spend at a wedding?
No two services will be the same. I will spend as many hours as I need to complete the job. I will arrive slightly before the bride and groom begin their preparations and will stay throughout the reception to ensure all of the most precious moments are captured.
How will I receive my photos? How many will I get?
Your first images will be sent through a password-protected gallery. A few days later you will receive a USB drive or download that may contain approximately 500 or so images. You will receive a mix of both black and white and colour images.
Do you include group images?
Of course! I do try to keep them to a minimum although I’ll do as many as you like without disrupting the day. I will provide all of the traditional shots as well as any others they may choose.
Are you insured?
Do you have a dress code?
I aim to blend in with the crowd so I choose my dress according to your wedding style.
If you’re planning an Islington Wedding then get in touch. Contact me for a chat about your wedding plans.