Hi, I’m John – a documentary style wedding photographer based in Hackney, North London. I have lived all over North London including Camden Town, Primrose Hill and Islington. I have settled in Stoke Newington which is a cute little borough in North East London. I have photographed weddings in North London for over a decade and feel I know a thing or two about the best wedding and wedding reception venues in this stylish area of London. If you are planning a North London wedding and would like to chat through your plans and pick my brain for ideas, then I would love to hear from you.
London Wedding Photographer
My style is documentary, unposed and natural wedding photography. I prefer to capture real moments throughout your day. A leisurely stroll is perfect for beautiful portraits and I’m always happy to take some formal family groups. Low key, fun and relaxed for a stress-free wedding day.
Are you planning a London Wedding?
View my portfolio of London wedding photography.
The Hackney is a cool wedding and event venue in East London. I’ve had the great pleasure of photographing a number of weddings at The Hackney, formerly The Hackney Coffee Company. Angela and Mike had enjoyed my wedding photography from previous Hackney Weddings and decided I was the right fit for their low key wedding…
Trinity Buoy Wharf Wedding Photographer Trinity Buoy Wharf sits beside the Thames in London’s Docklands. This is a super cool and uber stylish wedding very with a large warehouse ‘main’ room and a huge terrace opening onto the river with the O2 tent in the back ground. Oh, Trinity Buoy Wharf also has a Light…
The Glass House is a terrific Hackney Venues wedding venue in Springfield Park near Stoke Newington. As the name suggests, The Glass House has a lot of glass – think Kevin Mc Cloud grand design style. Springfield Park is a beautiful open space between Clapton and Stoke Newington in East London. A pretty canal runs…
Its a great pleasure to be asked to photograph a wedding reception at The Londesborough Pub in Stoke Newington. The Londesborough is a wonderful spacious pub a 10 minute walk from Stoke Newington Town Hall. If you are planning a Stoke Newington wedding at St. Marys, The Old Chapel or Clissold House then The Londesborough…
Guide to London Wedding Photography
I’ve put together some background information about London weddings. You can read on, but I know most of you are here to see my wedding photographs so click to the button to view my portfolio:
Are You Looking For a London Wedding Photographer?
Hi – I’m John, an award-winning London wedding photographer. I have over ten years of experience photographing weddings in and around the South East of England. I’ve lived in London my entire life, and I love the vibrancy and creativity of this city. My home is Stoke Newington, and I live here with my wife and kids enjoying life in this busy city. It’s no surprise that many of the weddings I cover are in and around this area.
London is the perfect location for a wedding
I will say upfront that I am biased on this point. I honestly believe London is one of the best places to get married in the UK (maybe the world!). There are so many choices for London weddings that it’s hard to know where to start. Whether you want an urban wedding with a reception at your favourite North London pub, a banqueting hall in the City of London, or a luxury wedding venue in an exclusive West End hotel, London has everything for newly engaged couples. If you are still looking for a wedding venue, look at the list below or read my blog for inspiration from some of the many weddings I’ve covered over the years.
London Wedding Photography
As a wedding photographer, London offers the perfect backdrop for wedding photographs. London is home to many historic buildings, famous landmarks, extravagant townhouses, and some of the most beautiful cathedrals and churches in Europe. London is also the first place many couples go to find their vows due to the wide range of dedicated wedding venues, hotel accommodation and high-end catering that is available. London can cater for large and much smaller weddings. Your wedding day may require a more intimate venue or a large capacity with 500 guests. Venues such as Islington Town Hall or Hackney Town Hall are flexible and may be just what is needed.
Why I am a Documentary Wedding Photographer
In my experience, most people don’t want the posing or fuss of traditional wedding photography. Some people don’t like to have their pictures taken at all. I like reportage-style wedding photography because it allows me to work discreetly. It means everyone can just forget a camera is there, relax and be themselves. I’ve found this is the best way to capture the special moments that make a wedding day unique. It’s no surprise that people feel more at ease when they don’t have to stand in awkward poses for wedding photographs.
Get to Know John Sanders Weddings
I am laid-back and love what I do and where I work, covering weddings across London and the South East. For any couple (whether they’re a bride and groom or a same-sex couple), their wedding is one of the biggest days of their lives. There are hundreds of photographers in London, and you don’t want to hire the first photographer you find. It is worth taking to consider what style and approach you want them to take. It’s also important you ‘click’ with the photographer. They’ll spend a lot of time with you during the day, and that connection is important to helping you feel relaxed and comfortable on your special day. The best way to choose the right photographer is to have a chat about what you’re looking for. Schedule an appointment with me, as it would be great to talk!
London Wedding Venues Guide
The number of beautiful London wedding venues is large! The following list includes a few of my favourites:
- Asylum Chapel – Asylum Chapel is a one-of-a-kind wedding venue available for private hire. It’s a derelict Grade II listed chapel in SE15 with a unique atmosphere and history. A unique setting for your wedding.
- Petersham Nurseries – Petersham Nurseries allows you to hold your wedding in either the Covent Garden or one of their lavish greenhouses. The restaurant offers a 5-star dining experience that your guests will never forget.
- Kew Gardens – Kew Gardens, also known as the Royal Botanical Gardens, is one of the most beautiful wedding venues in England. Full of flowers and greenery, the Temperate House, Mediterranean Garden, and King William’s Temple make the Gardens one of the most popular wedding venues in London.
- London Rowing Club – The London Rowing Club is not just a place to practise your favourite sport. The club also offers a state-of-the-art wedding venue seats up to 250 people. It’s a beautiful wedding venue with all the modern amenities that a bride and groom could want.
- The Depot N7 – The Depot N7 is a quaint bar on the outside and a luxury wedding venue on the inside. It is capable of hosting both small and large celebrations. With seating for up to 280 of your favourite wedding guests, you can celebrate in style. You can also enjoy some of the finest food in the area.
- Somerset House – The Somerset House is a beautiful arts centre with 12 event spaces that you can use to create your own fairy tale wedding. Each event space is unique and can be decorated according to your specifications. No matter how big or small your wedding is, Somerset House has the right venue to meet your needs.
- Town Hall Hotel – The Town Hall Hotel offers a 5-star experience with fair pricing. Large windows allow natural lighting throughout. The hotel is known for its beautiful architecture both inside and outside. The hotel offers the services of a wedding planner and an events team to help you put everything for your big day.
- The Goring Hotel – The Goring Hotel is one of the most luxurious wedding venues in London. The hotel restaurant has won many awards for 5-star dining. Choosing the Goring offers you one of the most sought-after wedding venues and one of the best reception areas. Everything about the venue says luxury and elegance while providing you with the best the industry has to offer.
- The Londesborough Pub N16 – The Londesborough Pub N16 is great for hosting any type of celebration. Great food and a quality venue are words often used to describe the pub. The staff does everything it can to make sure everything about your wedding goes as smoothly as possible. The pub is a great choice if you and your guests love craft beer and fine food.
- The Peasant Pub EC1 – The Peasant Pub EC1 is a great wedding venue if you like a laid-back setting and lots of space for having fun. Excellent beer choices and delicious food dishes will make your big day even more complete. The staff are helpful and willing to go the extra mile to ensure you have everything you need.
- Zetter Hotel – The Zetter Hotel is the place to hire if you want a wedding venue that offers all the luxury and opulence you could want. The staff provides 5-star personalised service you can count on at every turn. Choosing this venue guarantees a wedding celebration you won’t forget.
How much does it cost to hire a London Wedding Photographer?
According to the Bridebook Industry Report 2022, the average London wedding photographer costs £1,487. However, there is a wide range of prices based on the service, coverage, experience, and level of photography that your photographer has to offer. Set your budget and look for a photographer with a style and approach that fits you as a couple.
What is a documentary London wedding photographer?
A documentary wedding photographer is an expert at taking pictures of the day as it happens without getting in the way. They will be there to help you with any decisions you make and will take photos that reflect your personality and wedding style.
What accreditations do you have as a wedding photographer?
I have won several wedding industry awards for my work as a photographer. I was a finalist in the London Wedding Awards 2020 and was featured in both Easy Weddings and The Gay Wedding Blog. I am also a member of the prestigious Wedding Photojournalist Association (WPJA).
Do you do destination weddings?
Yes, I have taken wedding photos throughout London and the UK, but I’m always available to work across Europe and further afield. The package price is negotiable, and travel costs will have to be added to the final price. It’s best to get in touch to let me know what you’re looking for and for a personalised quote.
Can my pets be included in the wedding photos?
Pets are part of your family, so I have no problem including them in your wedding photos. You should ensure the venue is happy to have them (most London venues are!).
How long will it take to get my edited photos?
It usually takes four to six weeks to complete the editing process. Once they are delivered, you will have access to an online gallery and a print release to allow you to download, print, and share them on social media.