I’m John – a documentary style wedding photographer based in Hackney, North London.
My style is documentary, unposed and natural wedding photography. I prefer to capture real moments throughout your day. A leisurely stroll is perfect for beautiful portraits and I’m always happy to take some formal family groups. Low key, fun and relaxed for a stress-free wedding day.
Are you planning a Hackney Wedding?
View my portfolio of London wedding photography.
My name is John Sanders and I am a Hackney wedding photographer. I have lived in Stoke Newington for many years and it’s a part of Hackney that I love to call my home. Wedding photography is my passion and has been part of my journey through life. As your wedding photographer, I look forward to being the one to tell the story of your wedding. As a documentary-style photographer, my approach is to capture candid and thoughtful photographs based on moments throughout the day.
I like to work closely with couples and get know to know them as part of my inspiration for the wedding. I find out what they like and what they want their wedding day to be like. I can help them to find the best wedding venues and reception halls. It’s hard not to get caught up in the excitement of it all. It is when my creativity is at its peak and I truly enjoy what I’m doing.
Hackney Documentary Wedding Photography
As a Hackney documentary wedding photographer, I know the area and I know the venues very well. I am able to use my knowledge of the area and my years of experience to help brides and grooms get everything in order for their special day as they move through the wedding planning process. North East London has many beautiful venues and stunning scenic areas throughout the countryside. Many couples try out a few places when they schedule their engagement shoot.
Hackney Town Hall is absolutely perfect for weddings and is within walking distance of several parks and reception areas. It’s also easy on your wedding budget and suitable for both large and small ceremonies. Hackney Town Hall offers almost every type of venue you could consider, from ornate chapels to luscious gardens and outdoor parks. As a Hackney Town Hall wedding photographer, I have had the honour and pleasure of working in many of these areas. The natural lighting and stunning backdrops are ideal for wedding groups or bridal party photos and it’s definitely one of my favourite London venues.
Hackney, Mare Street and Beyond!
At the centre of Hackney is Mare Street. Known for being the administrative area of the borough, it is home to many of the most beautiful buildings in the area. In the past, Hackney was a retreat for the nobility and the wealthy who lived in the surrounding areas where grand houses were in abundance. The area is rich with history and tradition that couples can count on if they want a stylish wedding ceremony. Hackney also has many locations that are ideal for an engagement photo session.
No matter where you go in Hackney, you will find areas that are ideal for engagement photos or traditional group wedding shots. There are many different architectural styles as well. From early Roman architecture to the stylings of Anglo-Saxon construction, many of the buildings throughout Hackney offer something unique that you can include in your wedding photography that will give your story a one-of-a-kind look and feel.
Relax – It Is Your Special Day!
Not everyone enjoys being the centre of attention. It’s my job as your photographer to make you as comfortable as possible. Don’t be shy! For many, the sooner we get the traditional group photos out of the way, the faster you will be able to party with your friends and family. There are only a few times during your big day that you will be ‘striking a pose’ as such. For the rest of the time, you will be able to enjoy time with your guests.
My best advice for those who tend to be camera shy is to relax and enjoy yourself. That is what I’m here for. To capture those special moments and ensure that, even the traditional wedding photos, are be natural as possible.
A Few Words About Me…
As the owner of John Sanders Photography, couples look to me to immortalise the wedding day they have always dreamed of. I have never done any other kind of work except for photography. While I started my career working for a music magazine, I found my true calling when I took on my first wedding photo shoot. After the first few clicks, I knew I had found my passion and interest in wedding photography. From that day on, I knew that I could extend my creativity and produce images that could truly tell an epic story.
From the minute the mother helps her daughter into her wedding dress to the minute the last glass of champagne is gone, there are moments in between that can tell a couple’s love story. A kiss shared as the couple waits for others in the wedding party to arrive for their portraits is a stolen moment where they can just relax for a second. It’s the little things that mean the most.
What I Have to Offer
Wedding photography can be very exciting and I love to have fun while I’m working. Many of my clients like that I am so easygoing. I try not to rush, but I do keep things moving as smoothly as possible. Some posed portraits are important, but they should not take up more than a few moments out of the course of your busy day. It is my job to make you smile and put you at ease so that you can focus on being the happy newlyweds and spending time with all of your guests.
A Few Hackney Wedding Venues to Choose From
There are several popular venues located in Hackney. A few of my favourites include:
- Hackney Town Hall – As a municipal building, Hackney Town Hall will accommodate a large number of people – 550 standing, 420 seated theatre style or 250 for a dinner reception. The 1930s Town Hall has been completely refurbished and has many function rooms and space for different types of weddings and events. I am a recommended wedding photographer for Hackney Town Hall.
- Stoke Newington Town Hall – is a glamorous 1930s art deco style town hall and popular wedding venue. As ‘my local’ I know Stoke Newington Town Hall wedding venue very well indeed and have covered weddings there many times before. The venue can hold over 500 people and there is a bar and catering team on hand to help with your arrangements. I am on the recommended supplier list for this fantastic venue and it would be great to cover your wedding here. My blog includes a write-up of a recent Stoke Newington Town Hall Wedding.
- London Fields – London Fields Brewery offers an event space where you can celebrate your wedding and future life together. Many people who get married at Hackney Town Hall have their reception at London Fields. The staff is amazing and the venue is large enough to allow you to have an amazing time dancing the night away. I am also recommended as a wedding photographer by London Fields. Here’s my blog post about a London Fields Wedding.
- The Glass House – The Glass House in Springfield Park is open and ready to host your wedding reception. The brand new venue has a beautiful view of the park and offers state-of-the-art amenities that you can count on to make your wedding day as perfect as can be. I am pleased to say that I am recommended photographer for the Glass House wedding venue.
- Clissold House – Clissold House is an award-winning wedding venue. The stately manor home has beautiful staircases and ornate décor throughout. It is the perfect place for your reception, complete with beautiful gardens and stunning backdrops for all of your posed portraits. Read my recent blog post about Clissold House.
- The Londesborough Pub – This Victorian pub is situated in the centre of Hackney and was built in 1864. The Londesborough has an enviable reputation as one of the best pubs in London and was one of the gastropubs serving excellent food and wine. This is definitely one to check out if your want an alternative urban pub wedding. Here’s my latest wedding blog at The Londesborough.
- West Reservoir Centre – This Hackney venue is another alternative choice. Located in a local watersports and open water swimming centre the West Reservoir Centre is an interesting setting for your wedding that will appeal to sporty types! I captured some lovely images here from a recent wedding which I wrote about on my blog here.
- Clapton Round Chapel – This chapel is a Grade II listed building in the centre of Hackney. It has been the location for many events, weddings and even films as a distinctive local landmark. If you want a vibrant, urban wedding venue then this is one to consider. I covered a gay wedding at Clapton Round Chapel recently and you can see the images here in my blog.
FAQ about Your Hackney Town Hall Wedding Photographer
Do you have a specific style?
I am well known throughout the area for my documentary-style photography. I have won awards for my work from the Wedding Photojournalist Association (WPJA).
Can you take photos if the weather doesn’t cooperate?
Some of my fave and most romantic shots have been wet weddings. Embrace the brolly!
How long will you stay at my wedding?
I will arrive prior to the bride and groom beginning their preparations. I will stay throughout the day and long into the reception to ensure that I capture as many of your special moments as possible.
How will my photos be delivered?
Your final count will be approximately 500 delivered photographs. There will be an even mix of black and white shots as well as colour photos. Your sneak peek photos will be sent via a password-protected gallery. In about a week or so, you will receive the rest of your photos in a download or on a USB drive.
Can I expect group portraits?
Yes! Although I will try to keep this part of the shoot going smoothly. The sooner we can get these taken, the faster you will be able to relax and enjoy the rest of your day.
Do you have professional insurance?
Yes! I have full coverage professional insurance.
Do you have a dress code?
I follow the same dress code you have in place for your family, friends, and guests. I want to be able to blend in with the crowd. The more I am lost in the crowd, the easier it will be for me to get the most candid images.
If you’re planning a Hackney wedding then get in touch. It would be great to chat about your wedding plans.