Hi, I’m John – a documentary style wedding photographer based in Hackney, North London. I have lived all over North London including Camden Town, Primrose Hill and Islington. I have settled in Stoke Newington which is a cute little borough in North East London. I have photographed weddings in North London for over a decade and feel I know a thing or two about the best wedding and wedding reception venues in this stylish area of London. If you are planning a North London Wedding and would like chat through your plans and pick my brain for ideas then I would love to hear from you.
North London Wedding Photographer
My style is documentary, unposed and natural wedding photography. I prefer to capture real moments throughout your day. A leisurely stroll is perfect for beautiful portraits and I’m always happy to take some formal family groups. Low key, fun and relaxed for a stress-free wedding day.
Abbie and Reghu got married outside on a hot September day (thankfully) in the shade of a cute little pavilion at Longstowe Hall. A stunning small lake with weeping willows and distant wheat fields acted as the romantic back drop. Longstowe Hall is a magnificent Manor House wedding venue close to Cambridge. The Manor House…
Trinity Buoy Wharf Wedding Photographer Trinity Buoy Wharf sits beside the Thames in London’s Docklands. This is a super cool and uber stylish wedding very with a large warehouse ‘main’ room and a huge terrace opening onto the river with the O2 tent in the back ground. Oh, Trinity Buoy Wharf also has a Light…
Sparkford Hall is a stylish Georgian Manor House set in the countryside of Somerset. There are extensive grounds around Sparkford Hall, perfect for a portrait stroll. The interior of Sparkford Hall is very Babington House esque, lots of cool furniture and lounge areas. This was my first visit to Sparkford Hall although I enjoy a…
Rosie and Rich commissioned my low key and informal wedding photography for their charming and stylish village green wedding in Crondall, near Farnham. I have been photographing weddings in the UK for many years and am often booked by couples who have seen me at work at their friends wedding celebrations. So it was for…
Are you planning a North London Wedding?
View my portfolio of London wedding photography.
North London is a unique part of the UK’s capital city and an ever-popular place to get married at one of the many wedding venues and town halls. Full of historic buildings and vibrant urban culture, North London is an ideal place to work for wedding photographers. Luxury venues offer top amenities and premium services are available for couples who want their wedding to be the experience of a lifetime.
Wedding photographers such as myself can help you to find the perfect venue for your special day. I’ve worked at all the leading London wedding venues and amazing photos start with beautiful venues. Whether you are planning a small wedding or a large celebration for all of your family and friends, there are many North London wedding venues to choose from that provide 5-star services.
Award-Winning North London Photographer
Choosing a North London Wedding Photographer will take time. Look for award-winning photographers who have been recognised for their creativity and natural style. I have been a photographer for most of my life and thoroughly enjoy what I do.
I was a finalist for the 1st London Wedding Awards of 2020 and continually strive to exceed the expectations of my clients. As a member of the Wedding Photojournalist Association, I am committed to providing quality service to every bride and groom who chooses to hire me to take their wedding photos.
Scenic Views in North London
From natural scenic areas to opulent homes, you can find almost any type of backdrop for your engagement and wedding pictures. As a Hackney Wedding Photographer with many years of experience, I can help you find the perfect venue for your special day.
Throughout North London, you can find many different settings that will allow you to set the tone for both your engagement photos as well as those of your wedding. Once we meet and I can get to know you, I will be able to create a list of possible places that you may want to explore.
The area is full of some of the most spectacular historical landmarks in the country. Each one with beauty and grace all its own. North London has many grand houses, beautiful parks, and colourful gardens for you to explore as you plan your special day. As your Hackney Wedding Photographer, I hope I can help with this.
Don’t Like to Be Photographed? Relax! You Won’t Know I’m Even There!
I know that many people don’t like to be photographed. If you are camera shy or just simply feel uncomfortable in front of the camera. I can help ease your discomfort and allow you to gain your confidence when it comes to being photographed.
I cater to those who don’t look forward to being photographed and will make it as enjoyable as possible. My goal is to be low key so you can relax and the love you share for one another can easily be seen in each photograph I take. I work quickly and discretely as possible to ensure you and your guests are comfortable at all times.
Many wedding photographers pride themselves on posed images. I prefer things to flow naturally without the pressure or awkward poses. I want you to be yourself. I may offer guidance, but the rest is up to you. Relax and enjoy showing the world how much you love one another.
About John Sanders Weddings
Hello! My name is John Sanders. I have been a photographer all my life. I cannot imagine another career for myself. Photography is the perfect blend of people, light, and passion. When I first started my career, I worked for Smash Hits magazine photographing popular bands and local musicians.
As I moved on to documentary wedding photography, I learned that I could blend everything I love about photography into one professional endeavour. The people, their stories, and the raw emotion that connect them can be told through the lens of my camera.
Being a wedding photographer, I am able to use my skills to create a wedding story for the ages. Splendid locations, beautiful backdrops, and the people who make everything possible come together at one precious moment in time. I have spent years honing my skills so that I am able to create images that you will cherish for many years to come.
North London Wedding Photography
When you decide to take that step into marriage, you enter a world full of choices. As your photographer, I can assist you with many of the most important decisions you will make about your wedding day.
I have taken photos in many of the most luxurious venues in North London and, once I know your preferences, can help you choose a location that will provide you with an ideal setting.
In addition to the venue, you will also need to choose a menu and music. Having worked within this industry for many years, I will be able to offer guidance when it comes to choosing the right caterer and musicians to accent your wedding.
Welcome to North London
North London is edgy, urban and culturally diverse. From historical Big Ben in Westminster to the most modern architecture, you can choose from almost any style of venue for your celebration. Many popular venues have luscious gardens and statuary that make for a very regal setting. All of the ingredients create the perfect day to start the rest of your lives together.
My family and I have made Stoke Newington in Hackney our home. Clissold Park is one of my favourite places when I decide to go for a run. Living in North London has allowed me to explore its many offerings. I am pleased that I can pass on what I know about this beautiful area to couples who choose to marry here.
Wedding Venues Throughout North London
North London has a flair and style all its own. There are many 5-star wedding venues to choose from. I have listed a few of my favourites for you to explore.
- Hackney Town Hall – When you choose a Hackney Town Hall wedding, you have five different venues in one. Beautiful architecture is accentuated by natural lighting that brings out the most splendid features. The venues are capable of hosting large gatherings or small, very intimate celebrations.
- Islington Town Hall – If you prefer an Islington Town Hall wedding, you won’t be disappointed. The ceremony rooms provide an elegant setting for the bride and groom to say their vows. The magnificent marble staircase is ideal for photographs.
- Old Marleybone Town Hall – If you want options, choose an Old Marleybone Town Hall wedding venue. There are seven rooms that can be set up for your ceremony. Each one is designed to offer something unique. From a small, intimate wedding with only you and a couple of friends or an area more suitable for a larger number of people, the Hall has what you are looking for.
- Stoke Newington Town Hall – Stoke Newington Town Hall offers 1930s style and features beautiful art-deco interiors. Billed as one of the most unique wedding venues in London it can sear approximately 80 guests. The main assembly hall is significantly larger and can accommodate 550 guests for a larger reception.
- Hurlingham Club – The Hurlingham Club is among the world’s most exclusive private members’ clubs and can accommodate up to 800 guests. Your wedding day can be completely customized to meet your individual needs, allowing you to relax and enjoy every moment. This stunning venue overlooks the River Thames and offers a unique experience. Read my Hurlingham Club Wedding blog post here.
- Kew Gardens – In the Nash Conservatory, a beautiful 19th-century glasshouse at Kew Gardens, you can exchange your vows in front of up to 200 guests. This stunning glasshouse provides an abundance of natural sunlight which makes for an ideal setting for both summer and winter weddings throughout the year.
- Somerset House – The Portico and Navy Board Rooms at Somerset House are steeped in 18th-century history and have magnificent views over the Thames. This grand London wedding venue is a stylish setting that can host very large scale weddings and social events. Here are some images from a recent Somerset House Wedding.
- Rosewood Hotel – Rosewood is one of London’s finest luxury hotels and wedding venues. Located on High Holborn, Rosewood can cater for both smaller ceremonies and much larger receptions. There are a number of function rooms to choose from to match your wedding day requirements.
- Sofitel St James Hotel – Sofitel London St James is a Grade II-listed hotel near St James’ Park and Buckingham Palace. Wedding parties of up to 120 people can be accommodated at this luxury central London venue. Read my blog post about a Sofitel St James Wedding here.
- Farnham Castle – Farnham Castle has two chapels to choose from and a stately Great Hall to host your reception. The venue has won many awards and offers couples a unique wedding experience whether you choose a chapel or one of the other magnificent locations on the grounds.
- North Mymms Park – North Mymms Park offers lavish lawns and gardens as well as a stately manor that is magnificent in its own right. Elizabethan splendour abounds in this beautiful country estate. Located close to the city, but far enough away that you can enjoy your wedding day in the quiet, solitude of the country.
- The Savoy – The Savoy Hotel has been a fixture in London when it comes to luxury and prestige. Located in the heart of London, next to the River Thames, the Savoy and Gucci is synonymous with both style and beauty. Gucci décor is located throughout the hotel and enhances the magnificence of the already luxurious hotel.
I would like an outdoor wedding. What if the weather doesn’t cooperate?
Although sunshine is ideal, I have photographed many weddings in less than perfect conditions. A little rain or snow can turn beautiful photos into extraordinary images. Don’t worry so much about the weather, but do remember to bring a colourful umbrella! I’m an Islington wedding photographer who isn’t afraid to get wet if it means I can capture the perfect image.
What is your individual style of wedding photography?
I prefer to follow the natural flow of the wedding day. I’m very low-key and enjoy being the fly on the wall. I blend in well with the guests so that you will barely know I’m there. I would consider my style to be documentary in nature which means I like to remain in the background. I strive to capture those once-in-a-lifetime moments that truly tell your story. I have won awards for my work from the Wedding Photojournalist Association (WPJA).
Do you have backup photographers on stand-by?
I take pride in the fact that I have never (not once) missed a wedding due to being ill. Weddings are my passion! I would have to be completely incapacitated to miss a wedding shoot. If that day should ever come, however, I do have several photographers that I can call to take my place in the event of an emergency.
Should we count on you eating with us?
Please do! During a wedding shoot, I rarely have time to grab a glass of water. By including me in the meal, I will be able to eat when I can and still be able to take all of the images to memorialise your wedding day.
Do you carry the appropriate insurance?
I carry both professional indemnity and public liability insurance.
Do you have a dress code?
I always strive to look my best and will wear what is needed to blend in naturally with your guests.
Can I have group shots taken?
Group shots are quite traditional. I do try to keep the list to no more than 10 or 15. Group shots take time and we don’t want to keep you from your celebration.
Approximately how many photos will we receive?
On average, you will receive approximately 500 images. There will be a blend of both black and white and colour. You will receive the images in a password-protected gallery. After a week or so, you will receive a download or flash drive (USB) with the rest of your wedding photos.
How long will you stay at the wedding?
No two weddings are alike. They don’t follow a set schedule. I will arrive in time to take photos of all the preparations and will end my day as you begin to wind down your reception. When you hire me as your London photographer, you will receive my services for the entire day.
Are you planning a North London Wedding?
Let’s talk! Get in touch with me for a chat on the contact page.