Hi, I’m John – a documentary-style Sussex wedding photographer who has covered weddings in the South East for over a decade. I feel that I know a thing or two about the best wedding and wedding reception venues in Sussex. If you are planning a Sussex wedding and would like to chat through your plans and pick my brain for ideas, then I would love to hear from you.
Sussex Wedding Photographer
My style is documentary, unposed and natural wedding photography. I prefer to capture real moments throughout your day. A leisurely stroll is perfect for beautiful portraits and I’m always happy to take some formal family groups. Low key, fun and relaxed for a stress-free wedding day.
ARE YOU PLANNING A SUSSEX WEDDING?
View my portfolio of wedding photography.
Humanist weddings in Sussex woodland Sussex is a very beautiful county. I love the countryside and I’m a wedding photographer. All the signs were there that this was going to be a great wedding. Antony and Lucy had a small and intimate legal wedding in a registry office. The real party was a few weeks…
Sussex Humanist Wedding Photographer Hawthbush Farm played host to Georgie and Rick’s East Sussex wedding bash. This was my first visit to Hawthbush Farm. This stunning country side wedding venue is an hour and a half outside London. Rolling fields and beautiful woodland, Hawthbush Farm suited this Humanist Wedding down to the ground. Hawthbush Farm…
St.Bartholomew Barn in West Sussex played host to Andy and Alayna’s English Countryside Wedding. St.Bartholomew Barn is a stunning wedding reception venue, well worth a look.
Quirky woodland wedding photography at Hawthbush Farm in Sussex. Wild flowers, folk dancing and one helluva paella at Georgie & Rik’s humanist wedding. Relaxed reportage wedding photography from John Sanders Weddings, based in Hackney, London.
GUIDE TO SUSSEX WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHY
I’ve put together some background information about Sussex weddings. You can read on, but I know most of you are here to see my wedding photographs, so click the button to view my portfolio:
Are you looking for Sussex Wedding Photographers?
Hi, I’m John Sanders – a documentary-style wedding photographer. For over ten years, I have been photographing weddings in Sussex and across the South East of England. My relaxed documentary style coverage means I focus on capturing candid, unposed moments that tell the story of a wedding day.
As a professional photographer, I’ve covered many weddings in Sussex at venues such as Farnham Castle and Southdowns Manor. As a county (or rather the two counties of East Sussex and West Sussex), Sussex has a wide range of luxury hotels, historic castles, urban venues and rustic barns to choose from for every type of UK wedding.
Sussex is an ideal location for your wedding
Sussex is situated on the South Coast and is adjacent to Hampshire, Surrey, and Kent. The South Downs is one of the coastal area’s most notable features. London is nearby, which makes Sussex a popular location for city-based couples. Many venues feature a laid-back atmosphere and contemporary style, which make them a perfect choice for a wedding, no matter what time of year you plan on saying your vows.
Couples will often choose a city or estate because it holds special meaning for them. Brighton, the South Downs, and the Weald are popular areas in Sussex that people are drawn to. In addition to the rural areas, there are many historic buildings in Sussex for those interested in classic wedding venues.
Get to Know John Sanders – Documentary Wedding Photographer
I am an award-winning wedding photographer with several years of experience. Wedding photography has been my passion for many years. I know that not everyone likes to have their photo taken. Some are self-conscious and don’t like being the centre of attention. I have a more relaxed documentary style when it comes to wedding photography. I want my couples and their guests to be at ease and as comfortable as possible. I want to be just another face in the crowd during your reception. I will dress similarly to your guests, so I don’t attract undue attention. This is your big day, and I want you to be able to enjoy every minute of it.
Sussex Wedding Photography
As a Sussex wedding photographer, I typically cover weddings from the bridal/groom preparations to the first dance and beyond to capture as many moments as possible. The day usually starts with everyone getting ready and this always includes many fun (and emotional) moments. The ceremony itself is the main highlight of the day, including the vows and exchanging the rings. After the ceremony, I always try to capture a few quiet moments shared between the bride and groom. I will also take pictures during the reception and before the wedding breakfast. The toast to the newlyweds, the cutting of the cake and the first are all memorable parts of the day.
Your Wedding Day Is All About You
Your wedding day can’t be like any other day. It has to be something that reflects both of you as a couple. Choosing the right wedding dress, makeup artist, florist, table decorations and everything else is a challenge. I hope my approach to photography will make choosing me as your wedding photographer, an easy decision. My style and focus are on you and ensuring you’re relaxed and can enjoy the day. I believe the best way to choose your wedding photographer is to book time for a chat about your wedding plans and what you want from your wedding.
Sussex Wedding Venues Guide
East Sussex and West Sussex have many wedding venues couples can choose if they want to get married along the coast or towns such as Brighton. A few of my favourite locations include the following.
- Hawthbush Farm – Hawthbrush Farm is a rustic venue where a love of the land reigns supreme. Flower meadows make for colourful backdrops, while the farm buildings add character and contrast. It is an ideal setting for your outdoor wedding and reception.
- Southdowns Manor – Southdowns Manor is a luxury wedding venue in West Sussex. As part of South Downs National Park, the Manor offers scenic views in every direction. The team at this stunning location provides personal service to accommodate each couple’s needs. Quiet and secluded, it is perfect for small, intimate weddings.
- Chichester Cathedral – Chichester Cathedral is a beautiful church dedicated to serving communities in Sussex. The beautiful stained glass and stunning architecture give the cathedral a regal atmosphere making it fit for a royal wedding or a private elopement. If a couple wants a traditional wedding, Chichester Cathedral should be at the top of their list.
- Farnham Castle – Farnham Castle blends ancient tradition with modern charm. The castle and its grounds have been in existence since the early 1100s. The castle has been a historic wedding venue for over ten years. Couples can have their ceremonies inside or outside with breathtaking views all around.
- Highley Manor – Highley Manor is a luxury wedding venue that offers accommodations for wedding ceremonies of all sizes. The Manor is in the middle of the South Downs. Its unique location offers breathtaking panoramic views of the Sussex countryside.
- Two Woods Estate – Two Woods Estate has a beautiful barn and ceremony space that you can use to host your wedding. The estate embraces nature in every way and offers a secret meadow where you can spend the night camping with your closest friends. Vintage and upcycled furniture pieces add character and style to all areas where ceremonies are performed on the property.
- The Ravenswood – The Ravenswood wedding venue is an award-winning luxury facility that offers everything a bride and groom could want. The wedding venue has 34 rooms for your guests and a honeymoon suite where you can spend your first night as husband and wife.
- Fitzleroi Barn – Fitzleroi Barn offers a country setting with all the luxury and charm of a big city, a 5-star hotel. The 400-year-old main barn is the primary ceremony space and is exclusive-use. The owners of the property proudly offer the barn to couples who want the rustic atmosphere of a farm wedding.
- Farbridge Barn – Farbridge Barn offers a luxury, contemporary wedding experience complete with gourmet foods and beverages. The wedding barn is part of a working farm that provides all the amenities you will need to celebrate your special day. The team of wedding planners is always available to help when you need it.
- Findon Place – Findon Place is a beautiful estate that now offers exclusive use for weddings. The property is located in the South Downs National Park. The views are stunning and ideal for your wedding photographs.
How much does it cost to hire a wedding photographer in Sussex?
As with all services in the wedding industry, there are a wide range of packages available from Sussex wedding photographers. You can see my wedding photography packages here on my pricing page.
What will we do if the weather is bad?
The weather in Sussex isn’t always perfect! However, it is possible to take fantastic images of you as a couple, even in the rain. If the weather gets too bad, we can always head inside and use the venue for photographs. Typically, this means the ceremony room, staircase or reception room itself.
What happens if you are sick on the day of my wedding?
If I am ill on your wedding day, I will endeavour to find an alternative photographer to take my place. I know many professional photographers in London and the South East to draw from if the worst happens.
What style is your wedding photography?
I am a documentary wedding photographer, which means I take candid, unposed images as they happen. This style of photography means I can work discretely and ensures you feel relaxed throughout the day.
How long will you be with us on our wedding day?
I will arrive on location approximately 30 minutes before the beginning of the bridal/groom preparations and will leave when the final dance is over. I’ll discuss this with you in detail during our pre-wedding consultation.
How long does it take to get the edited photos after the wedding?
I tend to deliver the images back 6-8 weeks after the wedding. This can vary depending on the time of year, however. It’s best to ask me for an estimate during the pre-wedding consultation.
Do you cover destination weddings?
In addition to England, I can work across the UK in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as required. I am also available to cover destination weddings throughout Europe. It’s best to call me to discuss your wedding plans. I can provide a personalised quote based on your requirements.
If would be great to chat about your wedding plans. Contact me here to get in touch.